Assisted Reproductive Technology For LGBT Families
Illinois Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys
At Metz & Jones LLC, we are committed to serving the legal needs of the LGBTQ community. To best serve our clients, we stay on top of the challenging and ever-changing legal field that includes gay and lesbian family law, adoption law, and laws affecting assisted reproductive technology. If you need an experienced, professional surrogacy lawyer in Chicago, we encourage you to contact us today
One of the ways that we help lesbian and gay clients is through the careful drafting of assisted reproductive technology contracts. Everyone who is involved in the assisted reproductive process matters, and protecting the rights and responsibilities of each individual is vital with an official agreement. Contact our Chicago law office today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced family law attorneys.
Sperm Donor, Egg Donor and Surrogacy Contracts
To protect your rights, you should have an assisted reproductive technology contract that lays out key factors and responsibilities. Our attorneys will help you draft these contracts to ensure nothing important is left out. These documents should include information such as:
- Couples seeking to expand their family through artificial insemination with a known donor should have a written contract that clarifies that the sperm donor is a known donor who intends to give up his custody and visitation rights to the intended parents and to consent to the adoption of the child by the intended parents.
- Couples who are seeking to add a child to their family with the assistance of a surrogate need to carefully follow the requirements in the Gestational Surrogacy Act and should have a written agreement in place that clarifies the rights and responsibilities of the respective parties. The proper forms need to be signed prior to the birth by the surrogate mother and the intended parents to secure the proper names on the child’s birth certificate.
- Other key factors must be properly addressed in the agreement between the sperm, egg or uterine donor and the intended parents to ensure that no unintended consequences occur that could adversely impact the rights and interests of all involved parties.
Benefits of Using a Reproductive Technology Lawyer
To start the process, some institutions may even require that you meet with an attorney. Working with a donor agreement attorney in Chicago ensures that all legal situations have been accounted for and you’ll never be left in a position where you have to fight to be the child’s parent.
As lawyer, we are able to provide the following documentation to your chosen institution before they provide assisted reproductive technology services:
- Parenting agreement for you and your partner
- Some medical providers and donor agencies assisting with artificial insemination and other assisted reproductive processes insist on a signed letter indicating that the intended parents have already received legal counsel with regard to their rights and responsibilities prior to commencing the reproductive process. After meeting with you, our firm can draft and send this letter to your medical provider or donor agency.
Some providers and agencies require a letter indicating that you have consulted about adoption and your rights and obligations associated with the adoption before they will proceed with the assisted reproductive technology process. Since our firm also provides legal representation for adoption, after meeting with you, we are able to draft and send this letter to your medical provider or donor agency.
Put Our Experience to Work for You
At Metz & Jones LLC, you can be confident that you will receive the experienced, dedicated and highly personalized legal representation you require. For more than 40 years, our lawyers have been providing professional legal services in a warm and friendly environment.
Since most of our clients are individuals and couples in the LGBTQ community, we are highly sensitive to our clients’ needs and concerns. We are also very aware of potential risks and legal pitfalls that may not be contemplated by firms with less experience with the LGBTQ community.
Contact Metz & Jones LLC
Find the surrogacy lawyer in Chicago who’s right for you right here at Metz & Jones LLC. To schedule a consultation with one of our Chicago LGBTQ adoption and family law attorneys, call 773-878-4480 or contact us by e-mail. We look forward to hearing from you.
Serving the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Community and Friends in Chicago, Cook County and Illinois.